Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Finishing Up

The great thing about his whole transitioning process is how much less time I spend on my hair.  The routine is easy to follow, and I can do it even when I'm busted tired.  What's also great is how I deal with my hair after the washing and conditioning are completed.

After rinsing out my conditioner, I towel dry my hair for about 10 minutes.  Some use a wet t-shirt, but the towel works just fine for me.  Next, I section my hair into quadrants and pin each section in place.  I just want to note that I don't use a comb for sectioning.  I just glide my finger along my scalp and GENTLY section the hair.  If you are using a good conditioner, your hair shouldn't be tangled. Especially if you comb your conditioner through root to tip during the conditioning process.

The next step is a detangler and leave in conditioner in one and it is my absolute favorite.
I divide my sections in half so I work with a total of 8 sections.  I apply a dime sized amount to each section and work it through root to tip.  Then I detangle with the comb going from end to root.  The reason I do this is because the new growth needs the most moisture and convincing.  This product is amazing.  It's $11.99 at Target.  It seems a a bit pricey, but you will have no tangles or frizz.  It does the job of about 3 or 4 products as well which makes it a good value.

Next, I moisturize my hair, evenly distributing the product.  

I use about a quarter size for this because I don't manipulate my hair much during the week.  So I need to make sure there is enough product to keep my hair from drying out.  Then I just seal it all in with coconut oil. This is $5.50 and available at Dollar General stores.

Once I have done this to each section, I just braid my hair.  Right now I like the goddess braids. Mainly because I can wear them just as they are or let them down for a pretty, soft braid out.  It only takes about 5 minutes to do that and pin them up.  I never use heat.  I just let my hair air dry.  I also wear satin to cover my hair every night.  It doesn't snag or dry the hair like cotton.

Sometimes a styling gel is necessary to keep wispy hairs or stubborn strands in place.  Especially the edges.  They can get pretty rough when transitioning.
This gel is alcohol free, works for all hair types, will not dry your hair or cause breakage, and it's cheap. $2.99

And that's it.  Not a bunch of products.  Not a ton of money.  Growing healthy, natural hair should be simple.  It is what you're born with after all.  I'm glad to be loving mine.  I just wish it hadn't taken me so long to get there.

No comments: