Monday, March 2, 2009

Hair Goals

Ok. I just had to do one more post before I logged off. And this one has to do with the ultimate goals for my hair.

Of course I want long, silky hair. But I want that long silky hair to be strong, shiny, protected from the elements, easy to manage, and healthy. Without the health of my hair being up to grade, I know that my goals will be out of reach like no other. So at this point I'm concentrating more on getting my hair nice and healthy rather than just trying to retain length.

I was thinking in terms of family genetics and whatnot. And I came to the conclusion that bra strap length would be more than achievable. The thing is, I would rather get it to my waist or longer if possible. And I don't want it to just be waist length or longer just in the shape of a V. I want my hair to be all one length all the way around. Maybe it seems impossible or something like a mistake. But that's what I want.

I've been using my growth serum off and on now. I love my Bee Mine Serum, but I've been a little lazy about putting it on and such. But I'm going to go straight back to it over spring break. I credit it to a lot of the growth I've achieved. And the oils in it are great for the hair and scalp. It promotes health and growth at the same time. That way even though I'm focused on strengthening my hair, it will still grow in healthy.

I know what there is a ticker on my page counting down to the time that I will be trimming my hair. Thing is as long as there is no damage and everything comes in nice and healthy, I won't be cutting a thing. I'm not even allowing a dusting until late April/early May. And I may not even do it then. I've been babying these ends with all my might. And I won't cut them away as long as they are healthy. They may not be even, but so what? The hair isn't naturally even anyway.

I've been watching a lot of the girls around my cut their hair into these hard to maintain styles. And I feel so blessed that I haven't crushed under the pressure. Even worse, these same girls that claim they do it to get their hair healthy go and dye the hair and get highlights and all. Then they use all this heat to keep the style looking good. And the result is short damaged hair. Next thing I know, they're wearing weave and wigs. And at that point, it's the best they can do for the hair because there is no manipulation. But look at all that damage and stuff that happens.

I'm sitting here in my satin scarf right now just happy to know that the little bit of torture that I'm going through will be well worth it in the years to come. I'll be able to overcompensate for the pain with a beautiful head of hair that most black women don't think is possible. But it is possible. We can take care of our hair natural or relaxed. I just encourage every woman to follow her hair dreams and don't give up. Keep on growing! LOL. HHG! :)

No comments: