Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Beauty and Stocks - A Must Read

Think about the amount of money that you spend in a single year on beauty products. They can be for the hair, nails, skin...Whatever it is, just give yourself a ballpark figure of what you spend. Frightening, huh? Well, it is for myself. And the story is the same for lots of ladies. It's not something to be angry about because it's inevitable. Beauty is just a part of society that you can't get around. Unfortunately, we are a superficial nation. But it's the American way and I am not ashamed. LOL

For a few years, I've been watching the stock market rise and fall and crash. It's been a serious roller coaster ride. However, there certain companies that seemed to be doing pretty well despite the recession. Want to guess whom? That's right! The cosmetics and beauty industry. With affordable brands sold in all parts of the world, and the emphasis on the importance of beauty, they seem to be thriving. Some companies are not companies at all even. But they fall under the umbrella of a company that sells a particular brand. For instance, Pantene is a brand that operates under the Procter&Gamble company.

Here is my idea. I think that it's only fair that if we are going to buy products from these companies that we should invest. It's not only a means of getting some of what you will spend over the years back, but at the same time you are insuring a better future for yourself and family. It's just an idea I was throwing around.

Here is a list of the companies I've been looking at and their ticker symbols. If you have any questions, feel free to leave comments and check back for answers.

Sally Beauty Holding - SBH
Ulta Salons and Cosmetics - ULTA
L'Oreal - OR
Revlon - REV
LVMH (owns Sephora and several other luxury brands-French) - MC
Estee Lauder (not doing well at this point in time, but long standing) - EL
Beauty Brands - BBGR
Wal-Mart - WMT
Walgreens - WAG
Church&Dwight Co. Inc. (Sally Hansen, Arm&Hammer, and other brands)- CHD
Procter&Gamble (Pantene, Always sanitary need, and many other brands) - PG
Kimberly Clark Corp. (Huggies diapers, personal care products) - KMB
Colgate-Palmolive Co. (toothpaste, soaps, and a slew of personal care items) - CL
Dollar General - DL

This is just the list of companies that I was looking at. You may have more or a different list. But please, give me feedback on this subject. I want to see what everybody else thinks about this post.

2 comments:

LaQT/ Ty said...

Excellent post. I often think about this. In highschool, we were given an assignment to pick three companies that to watch and the person who had the most increase after a month won.Well I had won simply because I chose smart, I chose P&G b/c I use several of there feminine and household products and I can't remember the two others. But my logic was what is something that no matter the economy will still be in great need-beauty/sanitary products. Cha-CHING!!!!! Let me know when you do. I would love to learn more about getting into stocks and bonds.

Missy Krissy said...

I'm excited to purchase some stock. I wish I was into it back when Google and Facebook started up. That would have been awesome! But these companies are just as good I think and more steady. I'll let you know how it goes. :)