Sunday, September 28, 2008

Making things

Moisturizing Spritz

I've heard that a lot of ladies mix their own moisturizing spritz for their hair. They use these combination of oils and conditioners that are supposed to add that extra boost of moisture to dry hair. Apparently, they seem to work really well when in between relaxers (stretching). So that got me to thinking whether or not I should make one. So I did. Here's what I used:

  • VO5 Silky Experiences Champagne Kiss with silk protein (about 1/8 cup)
  • 6 oz. of warm water (to make diluting and mixing easier)
  • 7 drops of Hollywood Beauty Tea Tree Oil
  • 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
Here's how I used it- I part my hair in fours like I normally do to moisturize my ends. Then I sprayed my roots thoroughly just enough to make them damp. Next, I sprayed the length of the hair paying attention to the ends. I added my moisturizer as usual to the length of the hair, again paying close attention to the ends. I sealed my ends with coconut oil and completed the braid out style as usual.

I like the spray that I made. It made my hair easy to comb through. And as the moisture is drying, my hair feels softer. My new growth is tame as well. The shine is there too. So I would call this a winner.

Homemade Ponytail Holders

These were pretty easy to make. All I did was cut the legs off of a pair of old pantyhose. (Clean ones of course. LOL) Then I cut out the toe area. Then cut 3/4 to inch to 1 inch thick rings. Then give them a little stretch to get a rolled fabric appearance. And there you are! Ponytail holders. These are much safer for the hair because they will not snag like elastic. Sure, the ouchless kind work as well, but when the fabric gives way, the elastic will come through and potentially ruin the hair. The ponytail holders made from the pantyhose on the other hand will not pull or tug the hair or put stress on the root. And it has just enough stretch so that the desired looseness or tightness can be achieved. I'll post a pic of the ones that I made.
The pink ribbon just holds them in place. As you can see the lengths vary as you cut further up the leg.

No comments: