Thursday, September 25, 2008

No Heat Challenge

This is a list of all the heated styling products that I used in the past. The pics are just a visual thing. I no longer use them. I explain why and include a message at the bottom about my new heatless hair life. :)

The Blow Dryer

I know that it's ok to use a blow dryer in moderation-especially if you need your hair to be dry in a hurry. But I have too many horror stories about this machine. Maybe for somebody else head, but not mine. I had to go cold turkey on this one (just how I did the cigarettes). I would use this in conjunction with the comb attachment. Can you say raw scalp and dry patches? That's what it did for me.

The Curling Iron

This used to be my best friend. I loved curls. I would make curls all over my head. That's right...Every single strand. This would go on for long periods of time. Then I started getting that crispy hair syndrome. Being young and dumb, I would slap some grease on the crispy area and curl anyway. I could hear the sizzle and my hair would fry further. That's when I switched to rollers. These things are bad news for anybody's ends. Not to mention, my hair was extremely coarse so using low heat was not an option.

The Flat Iron

I actually had a pretty good relationship with this one too. That was until I wanted bone straight hair all the time. It used to be that I would only use this after a relaxer. Before each usage I would blow dry my hair dry. And to top it all off, I would use grease from scalp to tip to style instead of a styling products made specifically for heat protection. It didn't take long to see the effects. My hair thinned at the ends something terrible. And the smoothness lasted for a shorter and shorter amount of time. That meant more usage which caused more thinning and breakage.

My Decision

I've decided that I will no longer use heat on my hair. The only exception to this would be for deep conditioning. I got a bonnet dryer from JCPenney for about 30 dollars. It's made by Conair so I trust that I'll have this one for a long time. I can't describe what it looks like so I'll post a pic of it. But yeah...I'm against direct heat on the hair for me. And I know this decision will keep my hair nice and healthy. :)