Friday, September 26, 2008

No Trimming Inspiration

I was inspired by the women on my fave site to not cut my hair for a whole year. But that's not my only source of inspiration. Recently, I ran across a girl on YouTube named gossgirl2. She has this awesome hair. And she does all these elaborate hairstyles step by step. It's amazing. But I wondered how she was able to get her hair so long. What was the secret. This led me into the world of the Apostolic church and the hair of the women that attend this branch of church.

Apparently, Apostolic women never cut their hair. I'm not sure if that means no trims or dusting, but cutting is a big no no. The hair is seen as the crowning glory for these women. And believe me...it is. These are a group of women who once inducted into their religion no longer let scissors come near their head. And I'm sure they endure splits from time to time. Yet and still, they are able to grow this amazingly long hair. It's shiny and just beautiful. And because of this, I'm not as afraid of what not cutting will do to my hair. All it can do is grow.

This whole no cutting thing still worries me. After the year is over, I wonder how long my hair will be. Plus, I will have had a couple of relaxers by then. I could get damage from them. Then what? It should be ok if I put petroleum jelly on my ends and rest off hair that isn't being relaxed. I just have to wash it out thoroughly so that it won't clog my pores. And I will be incorporating porosity control into my relaxer regimen to give that extra protection. I'm really going to have to baby my hair now.

Either way, if this method doesn't work out, I'll back out. It'll be sad, but I'll back out. Somehow though, I think this is going to be great.

No comments: